Labels

cooking (25) crafts (10) Fitness (1) gardening (3) Home Organization (10) kids (68) school (9) sewing (28)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New Years Resolutions Update. . .Books and Crafts

So I have a goal of reading 2 books a month.  For January, I read "The Snow Angel" by Glenn Beck.  This was an excellent book, and a quick read.  In brief, it is a story of redemption.  It is a fictional story about a girl/woman who was raised by an alcoholic mother and a father who just didn't know how to be a dad.  She then goes on to marry a controlling husband.  It was interesting to read/watch her struggles and growth.  The story has a happy ending but I cried like crazy!!  I was sobbing so hard at times that I couldn't read.  Granted, I am a sap; but I think the story will make most people cry.

Next, I finished Michael Pollan's new book "Food Rules" (illustrated version).  This book was an even quicker read.  Now, I think, for most people, this isn't going to be anything earth shattering; but it was nice to be reminded about some healthy eating habits.  I think there are 83 rules.  One that sticks out in my mind right now is "If you are hungry, ask yourself if you are hungry enough to eat an apple. If you aren't, then don't eat anything.  If you are, then eat an apple." 

My actual books for January were "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp.  I don't know what it is about this book, but I am having a really hard time finishing it.  It is a good book but I think there is something about her writing style that gets me.  Basically, the message of the book is to focus on the positives in your life; to identify 1000 gifts in your life.

The second book that I had on my intended list  is "The Ambition" by Lee Strobel.  This is a christian fiction book.  It is good and easy read.  From what I can gather so far, the message is to watch your actions/decisions and to make sure that those are the directions that God wants you to go (not doing things for your personal ego and reasoning that that is the direction God wants you to go).  I am not totally buying the christian message of the book right now, but it is a good story.

When I was at the library today, I picked up Gregory Maguire's newer book "Out of Oz."  I have read two of his books in the past.  One I loved and the other I hated.  I figured I'd give him one more chance.  If you haven't heard of him before, he takes a common fairy tale and retells it from a different perspective or tells the story that might have occured before or after the known tale.  For example "Wicked" was the tale "Wizard of Oz" from the wicked witch of the west's perspective, (which, obviously, was also the pre-story to "Wizard of Oz).

No comments: