Labels

cooking (25) crafts (10) Fitness (1) gardening (3) Home Organization (10) kids (68) school (9) sewing (28)

Monday, March 21, 2011

Favors for Friends

My girlfriend texted me Sunday night "where can I get a dress, apron, and bonnet for the Boston Tea Party."  Nornally, you could find plenty of costumes online, but the kicker was that she needed it by Monday night.  So I told her the easiest thing would be for me to make something for her.  Here is what I came up with. . .


The long skirt is just part of a sheet.  I cut a VERY rough rectangle of fabric from the sheet and put elastic in the waist.  I think it took me about 5-10 minutes to make!  The apron was the easiest part.  I just cut a pillowcase and hemmed the cut edge.  I used ribbon to make the ties.  That took maybe 5 minutes!  The hardest part was the bonnet.  The main cap part is a rectangle with elastic at the nape of the neck and the remaining 3 sides gathered and sewed to the brim.  I used the remaining part of the pillow case to make the cap and ties.  For the brim, I found a coordinating fabric in my stash of scraps. 

By the way, this is Jordyn.  Jack professes his love to her daily and will unashamedly to anyone that she is his girlfriend.  I think I am in for a lifetime of trouble with this boy.  She is 11!  She has a younger sister, Carissa, who is 7.  She is the cutest little thing.  Of course, Jack has little more than a friendship with her. . . she must be too young :o)

No comments: